Friday, September 3, 2010

Rehabilitating the Gothic Greenhouse

I have 3 Gothic greenhouses that I constructed pretty cheaply out of electrical conduit and clips.  The construction information was published in an article with Maximum Yield (October 2008) and is also available on the Bountea website.

The North greenhouse was in dire need of rehabilitation.  In 2008, a snowfall of over 4 feet got wedged in the narrow pathway next to the greenhouse.  The pressure of the snow pushed in the conduit ribs somewhat, though it continued to function fine.  At long last, I  got round to extending the greenhouse sideways (getting rid of the pathway) to incorporate a bottle wall that will add thermal mass.

I re-bent the conduit ribs and attached them to the bottle wall.  Now I am rebuilding the end walls to enclose everything.  I intend to create a 2 foot wide cold frame against the bottle wall so that my winter plants will get a little extra warmth.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment